,

Student Profile: Richard Sun

The Undergraduate Program in Sustainable Development has given me the opportunity to connect a broad range of subjects, from environmental science to urban economics, and to learn about the fundamentals of environmental valuation. Using skills gained in the program, I researched the impact that energy efficiency technology and policy will have on the US Electricity Market as an equity research analyst at Credit Suisse Investment Bank.

This past summer I wrote a paper that analyzed how the three pillars of the Triple Bottom Line (people, planet, and profit) could deliver on the promise of sustainable urban development using the City of Newark, New Jersey as a case study. I submitted the paper to the Undergraduate Award of Ireland competition, and was fortunate to be named the first place winner in the sustainability category and received the Oscar Wilde Gold Medal from the President of Ireland, Mary McAleese. While in the program, I also was able to study abroad for a summer at the London School of Economics, where I studied fiscal sustainability and the actions central banks can take to ensure prosperity across generations.

This summer I will serve as a business analyst at McKinsey and Company. I will be staffed out of the DC Office, and I hope to continue in the position in a full-time capacity following graduation.