Practicum Introduces Students to Earth Institute Research
Each fall the Earth Institute offers a unique insight into the cutting-edge research of institute centers and units and the policy implications of that research in the Earth Institute Practicum (SUMA K4734). The practicum provides an opportunity to learn about salient issues in sustainable development, sustainability management and environmental science from world-class faculty and researchers in these areas. Under the instruction of Art Lerner-Lam, the practicum provides a dynamic forum featuring guest lecturers, who discuss the real-world applications of their research. The practicum meets weekly on Tuesdays from 4:10-6: p.m. at Jerome Greene 102.
Students wishing to register for the course may elect to take the course for 1 credit (pass/fail), 1 credit (letter grade), or 3 credits. Students interesting in registering for the course should contact Nathan Rudder, senior program manager, at email@example.com.
Below is the list of this year’s speakers.
- Sept. 4: Art Lerner-Lam, deputy director of Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Sept. 11: Steven Cohen, executive director of the Earth Institute
- Sept. 18: Art Lerner-Lam, deputy director of Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Sept. 25: Sabine Marx, managing director of the Center for Research on Environmental Decisions
- Oct. 2: Elliott Sclar, director of the Center for Sustainable Urban Design
- Oct. 9: Lisa Goddard, director of the International Research Institute
- Oct. 16: Bob Chen, director of the Center for International Earth Science Information Network
- Oct. 23: Upmanu Lall, director of the Columbia Water Center
- Oct. 30: Jeffrey Sachs, director of the Earth Institute
- Nov. 13: Pedro Sanchez, director of the Tropical Agriculture Program and the Rural Environment Project
- Nov. 20: Cynthia Rosenzweig, adjunct senior researcher at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies and the head of the Climate Impacts Group at the Columbia Center for Climate Systems Research
- Nov. 27: Joanna Rubinstein, director of the Center for Global Health and Economic Development
- Dec. 4: Klaus Lackner, director of the Lenfest Center for Sustainable Energy