Please join us for the Summer Workshop final briefings for the MPA in Environmental Science & Policy program at Columbia University’s School of International & Public Affairs. This will be a unique opportunity to expose yourself to research our students have been conducting this semester. The briefings will be held on Wednesday, August 15 from 9:00 am-11:00am in Room 1501 of the International Affairs Building (420 West 118th St. at Amsterdam Ave.). A light breakfast will be provided. Projects include research ranging from Hydro Fracturing to Waste to Energy issues.
The Workshop course is just one component of the MPA-ESP program that is designed to give students a more complete understanding of sustainability issues while gaining valuable professional experience. Students in the program conduct research and analysis in the Workshop course for each of the three semesters they spend in the program. By shifting the focus of their research each semester, students are able to gain a variety of skills and experiences addressing such issues as management, funding and legislative initiatives. Students presented their midterm findings on June 27. If you are interested in viewing past Workshop projects, please visit our website.
We hope that you can join us for what promises to be an exciting look at our graduate students’ work. Please RSVP by emailing Sarah Tweedie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in attending. Please see below for the agenda for the day:
Introduction: Steve Cohen
- 9:00 – 9:15: An Act Concerning the Reclassification of Trash-To-Energy Facilities as Class I Renewable Energy Sources (CT Raised Bill No. 5118) (Advisor: Professor George Sarrinikolaou)
- 9:20 – 9:35 Harmful Algal Blooms and Hypoxia Research And Control Amendments Act of 2011 (Advisor: Professor Matt Palmer)
- 9:40 – 10:00 Water Infrastructure Sustainability and Resilience Act of 2011 (House Resolution 2738) (Advisor: Professor Irene Nielson)
- 10:05 – 10:20 NY State Senate Bill S 6892 The Hydro Fracturing Waste Tracking Program (Advisor: Professor Steve Cohen)
- 10:25 – 10:40 Oil Pollution Environmental Review Act (US House Resolution 52) (Advisor: Professor Kathy Callahan)
- 10:45 – 11:00 H.R. 258 The Chesapeake Bay Accountability And Recovery Act of 2011 (Advisor: Professor Howard Apsan)
Next Steps: Steve Cohen
Students in the MPA in Environmental Science and Policy (MPA-ESP) program enroll in a year-long, 54-credit program offered at Columbia University’s School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA), in partnership with the Earth Institute. Throughout this one year program, students are immersed in courses that combine Columbia University’s hands-on approach to teaching public policy and administration with pioneering thinking about the environment. During the summer semester, students learn the fundamentals of environmental science, while the fall and spring semesters focus on teaching the policy and economics necessary to becoming successful environmental analysts and managers. Please visit our website to learn more about the program.
Subscribe to the MPA Environmental Science and Policy Newsletter