FROM THE FIELD
Italy's Ring of Fire

Same Road, Different Obstacle

by |June 6, 2010
sdsdgdsgsdgds

A series of tunnels cut through the rugged landscape.

Last year I was collecting a sample of sediment from a riverbed and spent the day walking up the Neto River to find a good location. When I finished, I noticed a road high on one side of the valley. I climbed to the road and found a tunnel with no lights inside. I looked to see if I could walk around it but found only a shear cliff. My options were to climb back down into the river or walk through the tunnel. So, I began walking.

Gradually, the darkness took over. I stopped about 15 meters in, when I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face, waiting for my eyes to adjust. They never did. With my hand on the wall of the tunnel, I slowly stepped forward into the smell of rainwater and sound of creatures moving around. I thought I knew darkness, but not like this. After what felt like hours, I saw a light signaling the tunnel end and practically ran. When I reached daylight, my excitement was quickly dulled. Not 20 meters away loomed a second tunnel. I thought, “Hey, if I made it through the last one, I can do this one.” Then I see the sign “Galleria: 458m”. No way! Half a kilometer long! I turn back and see a sign from the tunnel I just walked through “Galleria: 427m”. Oh. I’m glad I didn’t see that sign on the way into the first tunnel. I shrug and begin walking toward the second tunnel. But then, I hear what sounds like a huge truck coming through the tunnel behind me. For the next three minutes, car after car after car come through the tunnels. When there’s a break, I begin to walk through the second tunnel. But before long, I see the light from a car coming behind me. Several more cars pass including one that stops just ahead but continues on. Eventually, I make it out of the tunnel and a car pulls over. In Italian, the driver asks, “Where is your car? The gate closes at 5 pm. What are you doing?” I tell him “My car is on the other side of the gate, don’t worry.” He looks back at the tunnels I just walked through and says, “Your car is on the other side?” “Yes,” I say, “Don’t worry.” He gives me a skeptical look and drives off.

Stuck at the gate.

Nano waits for the key to unlock the road.

This year, Nano and I traveled the same road but when we turned around we found the gate shut. We were locked inside the road! Just as I was about to attempt picking a lock for the first time, a man pulled up on the other side and called his father who arrived 10 minutes later with the key.

Get our newsletter

I'd like to get more stories like this.
Email address
Secure and Spam free...